I admit it–this isn’t specifically about stompboxes. But people who need stompboxes also need amp stands. 🙂 I needed several and it occurred to me that PVC pipe would be a good building material. Scouting around on the net, I found one example: PVC guitar amplifier stand. This gave me some good ideas but I decided to try something simpler. This figure above shows an exploded view of what I settled on.
The colour coding shows how I glued mine up, putting together the green, pink, and blue sections separately first and then assembling these three sections together at the end.
There are several kinds of PVC pipe and fittings out there. I chose to use 1 inch diameter Sch 40 water pipe from the hardware store. There are just two kinds of fittings, right angle and T, and that dictates what kind of angles you can make.
The principle design thought was that a tilted amp has most of the weight on the bottom. Imagine balancing an amp on one bottom edge. Then there would be no stress on the back struts at all. So some of the bracing that you might think is necessary really isn’t. Another feature of this design is that several stands are stackable.
I used one 10 foot length of pipe and had about a foot left over. I cut all of the pieces with a hack saw and did not worry much about getting the ends square.
Dry fit the whole thing together first. I was pretty casual about measurements and everything came out square enough. You can be as anal compulsive as you like though. I did take measurements of all my parts before assembling so that I could list them here … but now I cannot find that piece of paper. So custom fit yours for your equipment. 😉
I found gluing straightforward. It’s true that you cannot take your sweet time when you glue two pieces together, but there seems to be plenty of time to line things up properly. I used the floor to make sure that T fittings lined up properly before letting something set. One thing to watch out for is some bumps on the fittings left over from manufacturing. Make sure those bumps are not facing the floor so that you get even contact.
The results are great. Here is a photo of one build, after I spray painted it black.